The following is a detailed sample home education letter of intent (LOI). This sample is based on real LOI copies that were approved by local School Committees.
You will notice that non-required courses are listed for middle and high school students. This is done in case the student needs an “official” paper trail in the future. You will also notice that the elementary and kindergarten students only list what is legally required. That does not mean the child won’t be instructed in other courses (like science!).
For more information on writing your LOI see:
School Year: 20??-20??
Local School Department
Address Your Town, Rhode Island
Re: INTENT TO HOME SCHOOL
To whom it may concern:
This is to inform you that we intend to home educate during the 200?-200? school year.
We will abide by RI Laws 16-19-2, 16-22-2, and 16-22-4 which require that:
1. The period of attendance will be substantially equal to that required in public schools (180 days); and
2. We will teach all subject areas, which include Reading, Writing, Geography, Arithmetic, Civics (to include one or more of the following: US History, RI History, Principles of American Government), and Health & Physical Education.
3. We will teach the above subjects using the following courses:
- John Smith (age 14): American History & Geography, Algebra 1, Freshman Composition, PE/Health – various Boy Scout Merit Badges, Spanish 1, General Biology, Beginner Piano
- Jan Smith (age 12): American History & Geography, Pre-Algebra, Grammar and Composition 1, Recreational Soccer Team, Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures, Typing/Keyboarding
- Jack Smith (age 8): American History & Geography, Math 3, Language Arts 3, Kitchen Skills for Kids
- Jill Smith (age 6): American Geography, Math K, Explode the Code, Handwriting without Tears, PE/Health
The courses of instruction shall be taught using, but not be limited to, some or all of the following: various internet and library resources, textbooks, and audio and visual curriculum.
Upon request, an end of the year report of progress and attendance will be sent at the conclusion of our school year.
Should you have any need to contact us, please have all communication be in written form to avoid misunderstandings.
Mr. and Mrs. Your Name